Peanut chutney powder Recipe
Ground nut chutney
Shenga - Shengadana - Danyachi chutney
Peanut chutney powder or shengadana chutney or
groundnut chutney, what ever you call it, it is a very tasty chutney.
In other Indian languages, this groundnut or peanut chutney is called
shenga chutney (kannada), danyachi chutney (marathi).
Like other dry chutney powders
you can make it when you have time and serve it when you do not have
time to cook any accompaniment for your rice or chapati or with
It is very easy to make and can last for long and is so convenient to use. Just see for yourself.
to make Roasted Peanut chutney - Danyachi chutney
Main ingredients for shengdana chutney
Peanuts before roasting
Red chili powder - Lal mirch powder
Ingredients to make 1 cup Peanut chutney:
- Peanuts (groundnuts, shengdana) - 1 cup
- Salt - ½ tsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp or to taste
- Asafoetida - ¼ tsp
- Dry imli /tamarind - a little
These optional ingredients enhance the taste.
- Garlic pods - 6-10
- Gud (Jaggery) - ½ teaspoon
- Dried curry leaves - 4-5
- Roasted cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Step by step instructions to make peanut chutney powder:
Roasted peanuts - Groundnuts
- Heat a pan. Add peanuts to it and roast on low flame for 7-8 minutes.(Detailed instructions to roast peanuts)
- Remove from fire and cool completely.
- I do not remove the peanut skin but if you wish, you may skin peanuts.
- Add the peanuts to your mixer/blender and grind together all the
ingredients, chili powder, salt, garlic etc.
- Grind for a minute. Grind to a coarse powder. Stop blender in between and check the consistency, mix and grind again if necessary.
- Store in an airtight container.
chutney will keep for a month or so.
Do not grind it too much, it will release the oil in peanuts and
chutney will turn into a paste. It is nice to have a little crunchiness.
Tips and variations
You may add some roasted copra along with peanuts.
Add some puthane (dalia, gram).
The red color of your chutney will depend on the type and quantity of the red chili powder you use.
If you do not have dried curry leaves, roast a few fresh curry leave with or without oil and then use in the chutney.
to use peanut chutney - groundnut chutney - shenga chutney?
- Groundnut chutney is served with Indian breads such as jowar or bajra bhakri or rotti, chapati, dosa etc.
- Spread this chutney powder on buttered toast for breakfast or a snack.
- Add a little chutney to plain yogurt to use as a dip.
- Mix with plain steamed rice and a little ghee.
- Serve with rice, chapati, bhakri or any kind of paratha.
- Serve it with vada pav or dhokla or idli and dosa.
- Just put a pinch of shengadana chutney in your mouth when you feel like it.
- Shengadana chutney goes very well with
methi or palak paratha. Spread a little ghee on a paratha. Sprinkle some
shenga chutney on the paratha and make a roll. Kids love to eat
parathas like this. Pack these paratha-chutney rolls in the lunch box
Go to Dry Chutney Recipes page from Peanut Chutney powder recipe
Go to Chutney Recipes page from Peanut Chutney powder recipe
Vegetarian Recipes Homepage from Groundnut Chutney powder