Onion Curry - South Indian Recipe
Karnataka Curry - Onion / Irulli gojju recipe
This onion curry is a South Indian curry recipe. It is called Onion Gojju and is from the southern state of Karnataka.
I always have onions at home as I use them a lot in my cooking. When no other vegetables
are available, I make this onion gojju.
This onion gojju curry is a bit spicy and very tasty curry. It is served with
Steamed Rice ,
a variety of indian breads
You may use white or red onions for this curry.
to Make Onion Curry - Onion Gojju - Irulli Gojju
The ingredients for Onion Gojju for 4-6 servings
- Onions - 4-5 largeabout 3 cups finely chopped.
Powder - 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Jaggery (gud) - 2 tea spoon
- Tamarind (imli) - small lime sized
- Vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds (rai) - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds (jeera) - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric (haldi) powder - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida(Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Fresh coconut - 2 tbsp.
- Poppy seeds (optional) - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 8-10 leaves
- Coriander(cilantro) leaves - 2 tbsp chopped
- Salt - 1 tsp or according to taste.
Preparation before cooking onion curry
- Grind poppy seeds (if using) and coconut to fine paste adding a little water.
tamarind in water for 10-15 minutes. Extract juice, keep aside.
Cooking Method for onion curry - onion gojju
- Heat oil in a deep pan.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. when they stop
spluttering, add asafoetida and turmeric powder, curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions and mix. Keep stirring once in a
- Cook for 10 minutes or till onions turn transparent and soft.
- Add tamarind juice, jaggery, rasam powder,salt.
with a lid and cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Add coconut/poppy seeds paste. Add water if necessary to get desired consistency .
for another 5 minutes.
- Add Coriander leaves(cilantro).
- Take off the fire.
Your Onion Gojju is ready to serve with
You may use Sambar
Powder instead of rasam powder for variation.The curry will thicken.
Go to Vegetarian Curry Recipes page from Onion Curry
Go to Vegetable
Recipes page from Onion gojju
Go to Vegetarian
Recipes Homepage from Onion Curry