Mixed Vegetable Rice Flour Bread - Akki Roti Recipe
South Indian - Karnataka recipe - Rice Flour Flat Bread For breakfast, dinner
Mixed vegetable rice flour bread is a healthy variation of akki rotti.
You could call it mixed vegetable akki rotti. The southern states of
India use rice and rice flour in different forms. This is one of the
easy rice flour recipes from the state of Karnataka.
is a yummy way of adding more vegetables to your meals. The kids love
the variations too. The vegetables added can vary every time. Use
whatever vegetables are easily available. Using at least 3-4 vegetables
at a time adds to taste and color too.
Mixed veg akki rotti - Rice flour flat bread with lemon pickle
You may add cabbage, cucumber, cauliflower, carrot, tomatoes, tender french beans, fresh green peas etc.
You can serve this mixed vegetable akki rotti for breakfast, a quick
lunch or dinner. Serve it with coconut chutney, pickle or with a curry.
A spoonful of some homemade ghee or butter adds to the taste of this
The mixed dough keep well in the fridge for 2-3 days so it is quite convenient to use it when you want
to make Mixed vegetable rice flour flat bread - Akki Rotti
Ingredients: to make 3-4 large rice rotis.
- Rice flour - 2 cups
- Onion finely chopped - 2 tbsp
- carrot grated - 1 tablespoon
- salt - 1/2 teaspoon or to taste.
- cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp.
- cucumber - 1 tablespoon, finely chopped or grated
- green chili(optional) - 1 or finely chopped or 1/4 tsp paste
- coriander leaves - 1 tablespoon, chopped
- dill leaves(shepu / sabsige soppu) - 1 tablespoon, finely chopped
- Fresh grated coconut - 2 -3 tablespoons.
- Water - to mix dough
- Oil for cooking - 2 spoons
Preparation for akki rotti - mixing the dough:
Mixed veg akki rotti - Rice flour flat bread dough
- Mix rice flour, all the chopped and grated vegetables such as carrot, cucumber, chili, cumin seeds,
coconut, coriander leaves, salt in a bowl.
- Add water little by little and form into a dough
ball. It should not be too soft or too tight.
- As all the vegetables
contain water, you do not need a lot of water to make a dough. So add
water slowly and mix.
- Divide the dough in 4 or 5 parts and form into balls.
Cooking Method for mixed veg rice flour rotti:
flattened akki roti on tava
- On a girdle(tava), add some oil. Smear the tava with oil.
- Place one dough ball on the tava and pat it into a round - as thick or thin as you want.
a few holes in the middle of the roti with your forefinger.
- Add a few
drops of oil on the roti, or in the depressions you made in the roti
- Place the tava on high flame - So that the tava gets heated fast.
- Cover the roti with a lid. After a minute, reduce the heat to medium.
- Cook for 2 - 3 minutes. Remove lid.
- The place where you made a hole
with your finger should have brown edges.
- Now turn the roti. Cook on
the other side for 1minute.
Serve hot with coconut chutney, pickle or favorite curry.
- You may use a thick bottomed flat fry pan or girdle or a kadai to
- Making it in a non stick fry pan can reduce the use of oil if
- Adding fresh coconut makes roti soft and tasty too. You can add that according to your taste or omit it.
- We first keep the flame high to heat the girdle fast. If the flame
is too low, the roti may become hard.
- Lift the lid after 2-3 minutes
and check how much it is done. The aroma of the roti getting cooked,
with practice, you can guess the time.
- When the rotti is covered, there is a sizzling sound which is also an indication that the rotti is almost done. Take off the lid and turn the roti.
- When you are covering with a lid, you may cook the roti on only one side until there are brown spots. There is no need to turn and cook the roti on the other side
Enjoy this mixed vegetable rice flour bread aka vegetable akki rotti.
Go To Breakfast Recipes
Page from mixed vegetable rice flour bread
Go to Vegetarian
Recipes Homepage from mixed vegetable akki rotti