Finger Millet Bread - Ragi Roti Recipe
recipes - Finger millet flat bread
finger millet bread recipe is a Karnataka recipe. It is called Ragi roti or
rotti in Kannada, an Indian language. It is made from Finger Millet.
Finger Millet is very good for health as it contains calcium, protein, minerals
This finger millet flat bread, ragi rotti recipe is a specialty from the southern state of Karnataka.
See the image where ragi rotti is served with Coconut Chutney and desi ghee.
Millet is Sattu / Manduva(Hindi), Ragi (Kannada) or Nachani (Marathi),
Ragulu (Telgu), in Indian languages.
Finger Millet is also used in a ragi mudde(ball) form and is served with soppina
saru(green leaf curry with lentils) or in a roti, upma or halwa form.
In Maharashtra, it is used to make Bhakari(a flat bread).
Finger millet(Ragi/Nachani) is also used in the extract form(a porridge) as baby food
for babies after they are 4-5 months old.
This extract is easy to digest and is also good for elderly people.
Here is the ragi roti recipe for you. It is served as a breakfast dish with
chutney or with a curry. A spoonful of ghee or a blob of homemade butter adds to the taste of this ragi rotti.
How to Make Millet Bread - Ragi Roti
Ingredients: to make 2 ragi rotis.
- Nachni / Ragi (finger millet) flour - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 finely chopped
- green chili - 1 finely chopped
- fresh coconut grated - 2 tbsp
- coriander leaves - 1 tablespoon, chopped
- salt - 1/2 teaspoon or to taste.
- Water - to mix dough
- Oil for cooking - 2 spoons
Preparation before cooking ragi roti :
- Mix ragi flour, chopped onions, chili, coriander leaves, grated
coconut, salt in a bowl.
- Add water little by little and form into a
- It should not be too soft. Divide the dough in 2 parts.
Cooking Method for ragi rotti
Finger millet - Ragi - Nachni roti patted on tava
Ragi rotti - Finger millet bread cooked on one side
- On a girdle / skillet (tava), add some oil. Smear the tava with oil.
- Place one dough ball on the tava and pat it to flatten into a round (as thick or thin as you want).
- Make a few holes in the roti with your forefinger. Add a few drops of oil on the roti.
- Cover the roti with a lid. Place the tava on high flame for a minute. (This is done to heat the tava quickly)
- After a minute, reduce the flame to medium.
- Cook for 2 - 3 minutes. Rotti will change the color as it is cooked.
- Remove lid. You can see the change in color in the image.
- Turn the roti. You can see the slightly browned / blackened edges where we made the hole.
- Cook the other side for 1-2 minutes. There is no need to cover the rotti again.
Prepare the other ragi rotti in the same way.
Serve hot with Coconut Chutney
or with Tomato
Curry / Tomato Gojju
or with Onion
Curry / Onion Gojju.
You may also serve it with your favorite chutney or curry. A little butter or desi ghee adds to the taste and flavor of ragi roti.
Go to Millet Recipes Page from finger millet bread
Go to Vegetarian Recipes Site Homepage