Raita - Cucumber recipe
Cool Cucumber salad with yogurt
Cucumber Raita is a cool cucumber salad dish with yogurt(curds) that is served with a variety of Indian
rice or bread. Not only it is a very healthy recipe, but it is easy and simple and quick recipe too. You can use
In Indian languages Cucumber is known as Kheera/kakdi(Hindi), kakdi(Marathi), savatekai(Kannada).
In the hot summer months, cucumber is a popular vegetable/fruit to keep you cool.
When you add
yogurt to it, that becomes still cooler.
When you have it after or with a hot Curry, it will make you feel cool. That way you can
enjoy your hot curry and not feel the burning too. Just try it.
Use only fresh yogurt for this raita. It should not be sour otherwise raitha will be sour too.
How to Make Cucumber Raita
Main ingredients for Cucumber Raita
Cucumber - Kakdi - Kheera
yogurt - curd - dahi
Ingredients for Cucumber raitha
for 2-3 servings
- Cucumber - 1 cup chopped finely
- Curds (plain yogurt) - 1 cup
- Salt - to
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Green chili (optional) - 1 slit in half.
- Coriander (Cilantro) leaves - 1 tbsp chopped
Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
Step by step instructions for making cucumber raitha
Heat oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Add the slit chili, pinch of asafetida.
- Fry for a few seconds. Take the pan off the flame
- Cool a little and then add to the mixed raita.
- Mix together chopped cucumber, cilantro leaves, salt, sugar, curds.
- Add the prepared seasoning and mix well.
- Cool if you wish and serve with rice or bread.
Tips and variations
- Add 1 tbsp fresh grated coconut to this raita if you wish
- You can add
black pepper powder along with or instead of green chili according to
- The plain yogurt /curds should be fresh and sweet. Make sure
it is not sour.
- Add 1 tbsp fresh grated coconut to this raita if you
- Keep the raitha in the fridge if you are planning to serve it
later. If left outside, it can get sour.
- Add finely chopped onion if you
- Raita tastes wonderful with all the rice dishes.
Go To Raita Recipes Page from Cucumber Raita
Go to vegetarian recipes Home