Bread Upma recipe - Easy breakfast recipe
Make with fresh or leftover bread
This Bread upma
recipe is a easy and quick recipe for a Indian snack dish. You can serve
it as a breakfast dish, as a snack or for the lunch box. It is also referred to as bread
When you already have bread at home, you can make this in less than 10 minutes.
The preparation is similar to upma.
A day old bread can be used for this. You use the bread slices along
with the crust.
A lot of vegetables can be added to this upma. Along with onion and tomatoes (which I am using), you can also
add potato, green peas, capsicum, cauliflower if you wish.
Chop the potatoes or other vegetables in in small pieces.
So this is another way to add vegetables to your diet. The kids love it too.
How to make Bread Upma
Ingredients for bread upma for 3 servings:
- Bread slices - 8-10 , cut in small pieces.
- Onion - 1 cup chopped fine
- Tomato - 1/2 cup chopped.
- Green chili - 2 nos slit in half or 1/2 tsp chili paste
- Ginger, finely chopped or paste - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 8-10
- Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp chopped.
Ingredients for tempering
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds -1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Asafetida - 1/4 tsp
Bread upma Cooking Method:
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When they stop
spluttering, add turmeric and asafetida.
- Add chopped onion, curry
- Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add green chili , chopped
tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, salt. Mix well.
- Add bread
pieces. Mix well. The bread pieces should mix well with the
- Cook for 4-5 minutes stirring occasionally.
coriander leaves. Mix well. Switch off flame.
Bread upma is ready.Serve hot.
Tips and variation ideas:
If you would like the upma to be very soft, add a couple of spoons water to the onion/tomato
mixture while cooking it, before adding the bread pieces.This can be done if you are making this upma for elderly people. Place a lid after adding bread pieces and mixing.
- You may add capsicums, green peas, chopped carrots, cauliflower etc to this bread uppit dish.
to Breakfast Recipes page from Bread Upma
to Snack Recipes page from Bread Upma
Go to Vegetarian Recipes Home