Bhopa kaddu pumpkin subji recipe
Bhoplyachi bhaji - Kaddu ki subji
Bhoplyachi bhaji or kaddu ki subji or pumpkin subji recipe is very easy to make.
Pumpkin subji is served as a side dish with chapati, rice, roti, paratha etc.
Pumpkin is known as bhopla(Marathi), Kaddu(Hindi), Kumbalkai (Kannada). Pumpkin is easily available in India at all time in the year.
You may use red pumpkin or yellow/white pumpkin for this subji. Both types of pumpkin
taste good in this dish.
How to make pumpkin subji - Bhoplyachi bhaji - kaddu ki subji
Main ingredients for pumpkin subji - Bhoplyachi bhaji - Kaddu ki subji
Pumpkin - Bhopla - Kaddu
Ingredients for pumpkin subji for 2-3 servings
- Pumpkin pieces – 1 cup
- Salt – ¼ tsp, more or less according to taste
- Sugar – ¼ tsp, more or less according to taste
- Roasted peanuts (optional) - 1 tsp
Ingredients for tempering/ tadka
- Chili, green or red – 1 or 2, more or less according to taste.
- Vegetable oil – 1 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ th tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ th tsp
- Asafetida – a pinch
- Curry leaves – 4-5
- Fresh Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, chopped
- Freshly grated coconut (optional)
- Chana dal / split chickpeas (optional) - 1 tsp
Step by step instructions for making pumpkin subji
Preparation for making pumpkin subji - Bhoplyachi bhaji - Kaddu ki subji
- Wash pumpkin under running water.
- Remove skin with a peeler or a sharp knife. Removing skin is not a must. I sometimes leave it on.
- Cut pumpkin in about one inch pieces.
- Chop green chili and coriander leaves.
- Crush roasted peanuts(if using) roughly.
Making pumpkin subji
Tips and variations
- Heat oil in a fry pan or a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds and when they start splattering, add cumin
seeds, hing, chili pieces, curry leaves and chana dal (if adding).
- Fry till chana dal changes color slightly.
- Add pumpkin pieces. Stir well to mix.
- Cover the pan with a lid or plate and let cook for 2 minutes on low flame.
- After 2 minutes, remove lid and add salt, sugar, stir a little and cover again with a lid. Let cook again for another 2 minutes on low flame.
- Check the 'doneness' of the pumpkin pieces by poking with a spoon.
- If the pumpkin needs to be cooked further to your liking, add a teaspoonful of water and cover the lid again and cook for another minute till pumpkin is just done.
- When the pumpkin is cooked and there is not much water, add freshly grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix well and switch off the
- Pumpkin subji is ready. Keep covered till serving time.
If you leave the skin on, the skin does not get cooked very soft along with the pumpkin flesh. I do not mind that. If you do not like pumpkin peel, remove it before cooking.
If you keep the pumpkin peel on, it helps in retaining the shape of the pumpkin when cooked.
Use red chili powder instead of fresh chilies if you do not have chilies.
Use black pepper powder instead of red chili powder or fresh chilies for variation.
Go to vegetable side dishes recipes
Go to Vegetarian Recipes
Site Home Page From Bhopla Kaddu pumpkin subji recipe