Aloo tikki - Potato patties Recipe
Aloo tikki potato pattie recipe is basically a North Indian recipe. It is now a popular dish all over India and is easy to make.
Aloo tikki is used by itself as a snack and served with mint chutney.
The word tikki means a cutlet or a croquette. Aloo tikki is mostly round but you may also make it oblong or a heart shape if you like.
It is used as one of the main
ingredients for making a chaat, as in ragada pattice or in aloo burger.
Aloo tikki can be served as a snack or appetizer or finger food at a party. Kids love it at all times.
You can use the optional ingredients given below to make variations of aloo tikki.
How to make aloo tikki - Potato patties
Main ingredients for aloo tikki - potato patties
Ingredients for aloo tikki - potato patty to make 8 - 10 tikis
- Boiled and cooled medium sized potatoes - 3/4
- Green chili, finely chopped or paste - 1/2 tsp or according to taste.
- Ginger, finely chopped or paste - 1/2 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp or according to taste.
- Dhania (Coriander seed) powder - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera (Cumin seed) powder - 1/2 tsp
- Rice flour or bread crumbs, for binding - 1 tbsp
Other optional ingredients
- Fresh green peas, cooked and mashed - 1 tbsp
- Amchoor (dried green mango powder) - 1/4 tsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp or according to taste
- Garlic finely chopped or paste - 2-3 cloves
- Red chili powder - 1/4 tsp or according to taste
- Chaat masala powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp
Optional as binding
You may add - Rice flour or bread crumbs or corn flour or besan (chickpea flour) or soaked poha (beaten rice) as binding the mix. Add just enough to make the mix less sticky and till it holds the shape. Adding too much binding flour will make the pattie hard.
Making aloo tikki - Potato patties - Potato patty
- Peel the boiled and cooled potatoes and grate them or mash them.
- Add green chili, ginger, garlic, salt, coriander leaves and mix well.
- Add rice flour or soaked poha (beaten rice) or corn flour.
- Mix well and divide the mixture. Shape them in to balls and flatten them it to a patty.
- Heat a tava / girdle / skillet / fry pan. Add a little oil and place the flattened patties on it. You may place any number of patties depending on the size of your tava.
- Press each patty lightly. Add a little oil around the patties and shallow fry them till the bottom is brown.
- After about 2 minutes, turn the patties and shallow fry the other side till that is brown.
- Remove the patties from the pan and place on a plate.
- Shallow fry all the patties in the similar way.
- You can make aloo tikis and keep them in the fridge for 3-4 days and heat them before serving.
- You may also put the tikkis in a zip lock bag or an air tight container and freeze them for later use. Just heat and serve.
- I some times add some grated carrots to tikkies instead of fresh green peas.
Serving suggestions for aloo tikki - Potato patty
- Serve hot or at room temperature with mint chutney or coconut chutney or tomato chutney or tomato ketchup.
- Serve with green coriander chutney or sweet tamarind chutney.
- Serve with onion slices and a wedge of lime.
- Serve as a snack or as appetizer or finger food at a party.
- Take for picnic.
- Put it into a lunch box for office or school.
Go to snack recipes from aloo tikki potato pattice recipe
Go to chaat recipes from aloo tikki potato pattice recipe
Go to homepage of vegetarian recipe site from aloo tikki