Aloo Methi Recipe - Fenugreek leaves and Potato subji
Indian Vegetable side dish with Fresh Fenugreek leaves and potato
This aloo methi recipe or fenugreek leaves and potato subji is a simple and easy recipe. It is a
dryish vegetable side dish made with potatoes and fresh fenugreek
This dry vegetable dish can be served with breads like chapati, roti,
paratha, bhakri (jowar or bajra roti). It also goes very well with
plain steamed rice.
The slight bitterness of fenugreek leaves is
balanced with potatoes.
You may use boiled potato or you may deep fry potato. You may also cook raw potatoes while making subji if you do not want to boil or deep fry potato. See tips section below for alternatives.
to make aloo methi subji - Fenugreek leaves potato subji - Vegetable
Main ingredients for aloo methi subji
Fresh Methi - Fenugreek leaves
Potato - Batata - Aloo
Ingredients for aloo methi subji for 2-3 servings
- Methi leaves(fenugreek leaves) - 2 cups finely chopped,
- Aloo (potatoes)- 2
cups boiled and cubed
- chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala(optional) - 1
- turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- hing (asafetida) a
- vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp or according to taste.
- Sugar -
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
Step by step instructions for making aloo methi subji
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds.
- When they stop crackling, add hing and turmeric powder.
- Add chopped methi leaves. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes on low
- Add boiled and cubed potatoes, garam masala, chili powder, salt
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or till methi leaves are
cooked. Potatoes are already cooked. The methi flavor will get mixed with aloo.
Serve hot or at room temperature. Serve with phulka, chapati, paratha, naan, plain rice or curd rice.
Tips and variations
Instead of boiling you may deep fry potatoes if you like. I prefer to use
- If you do not want to use deep fried potatoes or boiled potatoes, add cubed potatoes after step 2. cover and let cook for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle a little water if needed. When potatoes are almost cooked, continue with step 3.
- The quantity of methi leaves reduces after cooking.
- Even if you do not add garam masala, the bhaji tastes good. So you do not need to add it every time, just add red chili powder.
Go to Vegetable Recipes
From Aloo methi recipe - Fenugreek leaves and Potato subji Page
Go to Vegetarian Recipes
Site Home Page From Aloo methi recipe Fenugreek leaves and Potato subji